Some root mail not coming through

John Swartzentruber jswartzen at despammed.com
Sun Dec 5 21:15:23 UTC 2004

On 12/5/2004 3:39 AM Ow Mun Heng wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 04:29, John Swartzentruber wrote:
>

>>I have an older server running RH9 that I use as a personal email server
>>and webserver. I also host a few small mailman lists. That server has
>>had some hardware problems, so I thought it would be a good idea to get
>>another computer, which I did. I installed FC2 on it, then upgraded it
>>to FC3. The plan is to switch back and forth during upgrades so that I
>>always have something available. During this time, the original server
>>is still my webserver and email server, but both computers are on my
>>internal network behind a router which does port forwarding.
>>
>>While both computers are up and running, I can get my daily log email
>>messages from each computer using IMAP by accessing each server directly
>>from my personal computer on my home network. On both computers, the
>>/etc/aliases file has most addresses directed to root, then at the
>>bottom directs root to "arthur" (on the old server) or "buster" (on the
>>new server). These are also the names of the servers.
>>
>>My master name server is handled by a server at my employer, which is
>>remote. Both servers are running "named" in slave mode (I think). As you
>>can tell, I'm mostly a newbie but know almost enough to be dangerous.
>>
>>Anyway, that is all background. The problem is that yesterday I removed
>>all port forwarding on my router, shut down arthur (the old server), and
>>switched my port forwarding to send SMTP, HTTP, and DNS to buster (the
>>new server). It looks like everything is working, but now, I no longer
>>get my log email messages from buster (the new server).
>>
>>Now this is the strange part: When I turn arthur back on, I receive my
>>missing log messages on buster. Clearly there is some sort of dependency
>>on arthur that is in buster, but I can't figure out what it is. I'm
>>guessing it is DNS related, but don't know enough to find it.
>>

>I'm guessing that arthur is the one which is relaying all the messages??

Only these system messages seem to be affected. I don't think arthur
would be used to relay these messages. Besides, wouldn't that show up in
the headers?

>Can you check if the mesage queue in buster is in the queue?
>
>sendmail -bp?
>mailq -Ac?

I turned Arthur on, then the messages were delivered, so nothing is
pending. I'll try to remember to turn arthur off overnight again and
check this in the morning. Thanks for your help.