Spam Filter for sendmail

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Dec 5 22:55:47 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 16:45, Ben Halicki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for a good spam filter to run in a corporate
> environment, running with sendmail and dovecot?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ben

spamassassin is probably your best bet.  It can  be configured a number
of ways.  One way is to implement it as a milter with sendmail.
Another, that I have used in the past, is to implement spamassassin via
procmail.  Both methods should work quite well.

Another spam fighting tool that I highly recommend in combination with
spamassassin is greylisting.  I used milter-greylist with sendmail and
it reduced spam from 3000-6000 a day to 5-10 spam a day which
spamassassin handled easily.  Greylisting actually kept my mail server
from getting stressed as it did sometimes during spam storms.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"Well, it don't make the sun shine, but at least it don't deepen the shit."
-- Straiter Empy, in _Riddley_Walker_ by Russell Hoban