Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 5 23:52:04 UTC 2004

On Sun, December 5, 2004 6:15 pm, Alistair said:

> Now, if I apply the patches to a Fedora kernel, they apply OK, the
> kernel compiles OK, and with the unchanged initrd, the kernel boots OK.
> However, as soon as I introduce the DSDT image into the initrd, the
> kernel seems to be unable to load it, so panics because it cannot load
> the module for the root fs.  I have done this dozens of times before,
> but it is only fc3 that has failed me.

Hi Alistair,

You shouldn't need to apply any patches at all to use your custom DSDT.
The standard kernel provides a mechanism to compile a DSDT into the kernel
image.   It would be nice if Fedora offered a way to load a DSDT without
recompiling the kernel, but as far as I know that hasn't been done yet.

Use "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig" to set the following options
as marked below:

Device Drivers -->
  Generic Driver Options -->
    [ ] Select only drivers that don't need compile-time external firmware
    [ ] Prevent firmware from being built

Power management options (ACPI, APM)  --->
  ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support  --->
    [*]   Include Custom DSDT
    (/path/to/your/DSDT) Custom DSDT Table file to include

Note that the Custom DSDT option only shows up if you deselect the Generic
Driver options shown.

Cheers,
Sean