Loggin into a WEP enable home network

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Dec 6 03:19:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 19:55, Terry R. Grier wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I am having to work out of a friends house for a couple of weeks.  I am
> connected to his router via a direct cable but his router is WEP
> enable.  However.. as a 3 week old linux user.... I do not know where to
> look to enter this code.
> or is it the other way around...? ...
> Can someone assist.  Is is an XP user and does not know either.
>
> Thank you

WEP should only be used if you are using a wireless connection.  I have
several systems connected using cables to a wireless router and none of
them need the WEP key.  Only the laptop using a wireless card needs the
WEP key.

What is the actual problem you are having?  If he has DHCP enabled on
his router you should get an address, default gateway, and DNS settings
that way.  If not you will need to manually configure those things.  Use
the network tool to set things.  You many need to manually edit the
resolv.conf file to set the nameservers to your friends ISPs DNS
servers.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

You can't play your friends like marks, kid.
		-- Henry Gondorf, "The Sting"