FC3 Graphical Install and Boot Problems

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Dec 6 03:21:27 UTC 2004

Richard Duncan wrote:
> This is a double send to correct me forgetting to change the subject
> line on the last email...sorry about that.
>
> On Dec 4, 2004, at 6:42 PM, Richard Duncan wrote:
>
>> Tried changing driver to "vesa", same result.  I get a very scrambled
>> screen (I can barely make out the "Fedora Core" logo a couple times
>> across the middle of the screen) at all color modes and resolutions.
>> I also tried getting the proprietary ATI drivers on a flash drive and
>> rpm'ing them in, just to see if even in 2-D the fglrx driver would
>> work, but same result once again.  Would changing the VendorName and
>> BoardName have an effect, or are those just to make the configuration
>> keep track of what kind of board you're using so you can access that
>> info later?
>>
>> I had trouble back in RH9 getting the DVI output on my old nVidia card
>> working right, but haven't had any trouble since until I tried
>> upgrading to FC3.  Could it be the new xorg not liking my setup?  The
>> Xorg setup that went in FC2 didn't give me any trouble though.
>>

>>> Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 07:22:53 -0600
>>> From: Randy <toucan at tropicalrain.us>
>>> Subject: Re: FC3 Graphical Install and Boot Problems
>>> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>

>>> Try the VESA driver?  I had to change mine also.
>>>
>>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>>
>>> Section "Device"
>>>
>>> Section "Screen"
>>> #       Driver      "via"
>>> #       BoardName   "S3 UniChrome"
>>>          Identifier  "Videocard0"
>>>          Driver      "vesa"
>>>          VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>>>          BoardName   "VESA driver (generic)"
>>> EndSection

I had similar problems trying the vesa driver on an 815 video card.
(scrambled screen). Could the falure be similar to the i810 causing the
scrambling? (needed to add option noaccel to xorg.conf.)

Since your card states that it is an s3 Unichrome, have you tried using
the s3 or s3virge drivers?

Rough ideas is all I can think of. Have you read man via for different
options using the via driver?

Jim

--
When speculation has done its worst, two plus two still equals four.
		-- S. Johnson