IDE controller card and Fedora Core 3

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Dec 6 04:11:00 UTC 2004

On Monday 06 December 2004 11:12, Langdon Stevenson wrote:
> I am attempting to build a file server using a Pentium II 400, for my
> home office.

For software, I recommend you look at Clark Connect - www.clarkconnect.org.
It's a compilation of Linux software aimed at your needs and contains
software not included in FC/RHEL.

> I want to build a RAID 5 array for data integrity.  I have four 160Gig
> Western digital hard drives, and a couple of spare IDE controller cards
> that I would like to use.  The controller cards are the issue.

I wonder whether you're going to more trouble than it's worth; a Pentium II
400 has heaps of power for the typical small office, but it's old and not the
hardware base I'd expect someone to choose for a high-availability system.

If you really want RAID with lots of disks, I think you should be buying a new
small SCSI server. Dell, IBM and Sun all have such systems, and in some cases
with Linux preinstalled.

If you wish to persist with this system, then install one )not two) drive per
ATA connector, and use skinny cables. With the standard wide cables you are
going to have ventilation problems.

I have an Abit Hotrood 66 card which uses a Promise HPT chipset; it's old, and
I had to use a 2.3 kernel when  I first bought it because 2.2 didn't have the
support.

With your Pentium II, disk performance may be an issue. I find individual
disks mostly run at twice the speed in my Athlon 1400 that they do in my
Pentium IIs. I had a couple of drives in a Pentium II running about 23
Mbytes/sec but I get 40 and up in the Athlon, and the latest drives better
50.

A drive that gave me 17 Mbytes/sec in a Pentium II on the Hotrod card did
about 38 on the same card in my Athlon system.

I presume that if you're using 16 Gb drives that throughput is important to
you.

> Warning: I am a relative newbie with Linux.  I have built a couple of
> systems over the last year or so, but am by no means an expert.

I recommend you get your experience on something less critical to your
financia well-being:-) Clark Connect is a pre-packaged software set aimed at
small offices.

Further, check out the Clark Connect site for lists, join one and ask what
hardware they recommend, and what people do for backup.

Remember, the most common cause of lost data is deletion by some twit five
seconds before he realises he's a twit. RAID won't help with that, but simple
backups will.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield