Booting a ICH5R RAID array from Grub

Tarjei Knapstad tarjei.knapstad at predichem.com
Mon Dec 6 12:18:02 UTC 2004

I first wanted to install FC 3 on a SATA RAID0 array that I have on the
above mentioned controller, and found this:

http://users.pandora.be/TheBlackUnicorn/linux/

but decided against it and went out and bought another PATA disk this
weekend :) Install went mostly OK after this.

After some more searching I found dmraid
(http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/) and after installing that
together with the NTFS drivers
(http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora3.html), I was able to map
and mount the NTFS partitions in my stripe. So far so good.

The only remaining problem now is to have the Grub boot loader currently
installed on the new PATA disk together with FC3 boot the windows
partition in my RAID array. I found some info about how to install Grub
on my RAID array, but I'd prefer not to risk that and would rather have
the Grub on my PATA drive boot the RAID array.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
--
Tarjei