Haldaemon and Vmware

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Dec 6 14:33:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 08:58:57AM +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 11:31 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> > On Monday 06 December 2004 11:07, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > > Please post no "post no HTML" messages.
> > >
> > > Really, I'm in sympathy with the desire not to have to read HTML.
> >
> > Fact is, they're difficult to read with kmail's default settings. At one time
> > I had a per script that stripped HTML out of web pages and discovered I
> > achieved a 90% reduction in file sized.
> >
> > I really do not want people infringing on my good nature (such as it is) by
> > stealing my bandwidth. I'm on dialup, and _I_ pay the bill, and _I_ get to
> > wait while email clears my line.
> >
> > If someone wants to pay for a wireless link or bidirectional sat _and_ pay me
> > for my time, then I will grin and bear it.
>
> Please respect other list users' requests not to have *their* bandwidth
> consumed by your "Please post no HTML" messages, and restrict such
> replies to private responses rather than replies to the list.

Paul,
I hope you are aware of the recursive irony in your hypocrisy.

Additionally, - EVERYONE pays more when HTML is used to post to these
lists.   (Even people with "flat rate" access get hit.  Think about it,
you'll figure it out.)  People in non-US countries frequently pay for
their access by the byte downloaded, (Both dial-up and broadband users).

The List SPONSOR, RedHat - especially pays a great deal more.

The reasons for not using HTML are numerous and are not surmountable

The reasons for using HTML are completely unsupportable.  They
essentially boil down to either "I didn't know any better"
(which is fixable) or "I'm lazy", or "I'm an egoist".

Finally - as to your suggestion that people only send this info by
private email.  :

"Community standards do not maintain themselves: They're maintained by
people actively applying them, visibly, in public. Don't whine that all
criticism should have been conveyed via private mail: That's not how it
works. Nor is it useful to insist you've been personally insulted when
someone comments that one of your claims was wrong, or that his views
differ. Those are loser attitudes."

"Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not
intended to give offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct,
cut-through-the-bullshit communications style that is natural to people
who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel
warm and fuzzy.

Odds are you'll screw up a few times on hacker community forums ? in
ways detailed in this article, or similar. And you'll be told exactly
how you screwed up, possibly with colourful asides. In public.

When this happens, the worst thing you can do is whine about the
experience, claim to have been verbally assaulted, demand apologies,
scream, hold your breath, threaten lawsuits, complain to people's
employers, leave the toilet seat up, etc. Instead, here's what you do:

Get over it. It's normal. In fact, it's healthy and appropriate."

When you can identify the source of the above quote, we can have more
discussion on this.

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"