Fedora and Partition Magic

David Liguori liguorid at albany.edu
Mon Dec 6 14:45:17 UTC 2004

Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
>> Gustavo Seabra wrote:

>>> Why do you need Partition Magic? Fedora can do all the partitions
>>> during the installation process. I actually suggests a scheme that,
>>> as I learned too late, is pretty good. What we did and worked fine was:
>>> First partition: WinXP
>>> All the rest: done with the partition utility during the Fedora
>>> installation, and all worked fine.
>>>
>> PM is still good if you want more than two OS' (say Win XP, Win2k, FC3
>> or WinXP FC3, SuSE 9.2). Also you can use it's Boot Manager (Boot
>> Magic) vs using GRUB.
>>
>> But in response to how you did it on yours, do you have Fedora
>> partitions on a separate drive or on the same drive (as windows)?
>>
>> Scott
>>
> Same drive. It was olnly one HD.

Boot magic can't load Linux directly: you need to "chain load" a Linux loader like Grub or Lilo.  With that setup, the Linux loader goes on the first sector of the boot partition (either /boot if you have one, or / otherwise).

I use System Commander 2000, which has the ability to load Windows 98 to a Dos prompt, or the same Windows partitions with different configuration files. I have PM8, but I haven't tried Boot Magic recently.  From my recollection, I would just as soon stick with Grub as Boot Magic, which doesn't have any special capabilities in dealing with either Windows or Linux afaik.

David Liguori