VNC: Which desktop it displays

Shane Presley shane.presley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 14:59:48 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm running VNC (pre-installed) with FC3.  My client/view is on Windows 2000.

To configure VNC I modified  /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
	VNCSERVERS="1:root"
	VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 800x600"

And set a password.  Then started the service "service vncserver start"

Starts up fine, and I can connect with my viewer to port 5901.

I'm new to Linux, so I'm confused about what desktop I am seeing.  I
know with VNC server on a windows server, you get the display that the
local mouse/keyboard/monitor sees.  There's only one desktop.

With FC3, I seem to be getting a new virtual desktop.  I guess that
would be useful to run X applications.  But is there a way to use VNC
to display the exact same thing that my locally attached
keyboard/mouse/monitor see?  So if I change something remotely using
VNC, the local monitor also displays my changes.  Just as if I was at
the console?

Thanks
Shane