startup services order

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Dec 6 15:27:32 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 23:19, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> >The trick is to tell the network card NOT to start at boot time.  When
> >pcmcia services start later on it will start the network card anyway.
> >IMHO this is  BUG AND NEEDS TO BE FIXED!
> >
> >But no one listens. :)
> >
> >I hope that fixes your problem.
> >

> Scott, you are absolutely correct. I've been bellyaching about this
> issue for a while -- going back to the Red Hat Linux days. My Vaio
> laptop needs to have PCMCIA start, otherwise the wireless card won't go
> active. What is really needed is for anaconda to either ask, or detect,
> whether this is a laptop installation. If so, automagically start PCMCIA
> at some early point in the boot process for the desired runlevel.
>
> For now, I'm sure a lot of folks need to use the hacks suggested by both
> you and Mike Klinke. Or just let the stupid boot process continue and
> wait for pcmcia to start. Which will then wake up eth0 which will then
> make a DHCP request to the access point which will then....
>
> Bob

This one has become my personal pet peeve with Fedora.  I am really
surprised more people are not bellyaching about this.  I guess this is
not a bigger problem since most newer laptops come with built in wifi
and network interfaces and there apparently are not many people with
laptops that have multiple NICs installed via pcmcia interfaces.  I
would expect someone with two NICs installed via pcmcia would have a
horrible time trying to start one NIC and not the other since I expect
both would start at boot time even if you have them set to NOT start at
boot.

And yes the work around is to unplug the one you don't want started, but
that is a work around.

I found re-ordering the start sequence (pcmcia first then network)
worked sometimes and not other times.  That was my original attempt at
fixing the problem.   I subsequently learned from the list to tell the
system NOT to start the interface at boot time.  That seems to work
every time on my old laptop.

At this point I doubt this will ever be resolved in a logical fashion.
Just like I doubt I will ever see good support in general for wireless
cards under Linux.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

When you say that you agree to a thing in principle, you mean that
you have not the slightest intention of carrying it out in practice.
		-- Otto Von Bismarck