FC3 and DMA problem - FIXED

kmiller01 at ticnet.com kmiller01 at ticnet.com
Mon Dec 6 15:43:07 UTC 2004

I actually had 2 problems with the Dell box, you guys helped with both.

1.  The biggie - I had to disable DMA to get it to even do the install.
Once I finished the install and turned DMA back on (GRUB command line) it
worked fine, performance was much snappier.  Apparently it just needed DMA
turned off because of the old cdrom drive.  With DMA turned off it was a
real dog, everything happened in slow motion, way too slow for a 900MHz
machine.

2.  Video didn't look right and wouldn't redraw the screen until I moved
the mouse over it.  This was apparently a known bug, after some Google-ing
I found that there is a new driver for the Intel i810 video in that Dell
box.  I updated it and it looked just fine.  It was a little hard doing
any updates in X when you can't see things!

So, it's all running fine now with FC3 and I can give it back to my
daughter.  I let it do updates all last night, rebooted this morning and
things look fine.  Thanks for the help!

Kerry