FC3: some additional package kills Apache

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Dec 6 15:46:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 05:14, Thoralf Polet wrote:
> Installing FC3: I've done this now for the 3rd time. I
> installed from DVD using almost everything related to
> servers and (web) development. I did an update of
> those packages (cleverly downloaded the directory and
> did this offline the last two times).
>
> When I follow the instructions to install apt and
> synaptic and adding more repositories and installing
> stuff from those Apache won't work anymore. I can't
> call any page from localhost. "The requested URL ...
> was not found on this server." But in fact, it is.
> Access rights are fine. It doesn't matter if it's html
> or php.
>
> It's not a matter of SELinux or Zope (having Plone
> installed). It's not the defective versions of
> php-rrdtool and mmcache causing trouble to Apache
> (poor job done). It's not adding awstats.
>
> The only useful information I get is when booting the
> system an error message regarding
> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
> appears stating that ScriptAlias is already set and
> the line
>
> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
>
> won't have any effect.
>
> I can't go right now the same chaos I had before with
> some urgent project on the line. At FedorLinux.de
> there is a guy expericencing the same problem.
>
> Any ideas what caused that mess?

>From the sounds of things you are creating the problem when you install
some set of packages from the additional repositories you mention.

Most likely you have selected repositories and packages that have
stepped on the base install.  About the only way to sort this out is to
start over and install one package at a time and carefully track all
dependencies and check the operation of apache after each package is
installed.  When it stops working the last package you installed is the
problem.

Actually better yet, you should refrain from installing packages willy
nilly and concentrate only on those packages the system needs to do its
job.  Stick with one set of repositories only and make sure those you
want to use do not have problems working together.  There was a recent
thread discussing this very problem with some pointers as to which
repositories work well together and which don't.

Also, I would recommend that you include more detailed information such
as the actual pasted copy of the error message encountered, appropriate
portions of related error logs, and specific version information on the
packages you are having problems with.  There is a good possibility that
you have httpd packages as well as apache packages installed (seems I
saw this problem recently on the mailing list), httpd is the standard
fedora packages, another repository I think labeled theirs as apache.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Cold hands, no gloves.