modprobe.conf not loading

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Dec 6 16:32:31 UTC 2004

Doug Coats wrote:
> I am having a problem with certain modules not loading at boot time and I
> believe it has to do with modprobe.conf not being run or with the
> information just being ignored.

If you want modules to be available to the kernel during boot, you need
to place them into initrd image.  mkinitrd should be able to figure out
what you have in modprobe.conf and build an image:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-kernel-version kernel-verion

There are also some other options for mkinitrd that might be usefull to
you (you might need to specify non-block devices manually, when calling
mkinitrd, not sure).

While you are testing, don't overwrite existing initrd, use different
file name, and update your boot loader configuration to reflect this.
Also, if you are using LILO, rerun it every time you do mkinitrd or edit
lilo.conf (even if you haven't changed initrd file name).