IDE controller card and Fedora Core 3

Shaffer Paul pshaffer at spaceimaging.com
Mon Dec 6 18:36:22 UTC 2004

James' analysis is right on the money, *BUT* for a given file set,
Robert is also correct, and I've proven it with some equipment of mine.
The maximum transfer speed to/from a given machine never goes above a
certain point no matter 100Mbs, Gbit, Ultra, Ultra2, Ultra3 - doesn't
matter.  32bit PCI is the likely bottleneck these days.

Having said that however, RAID *IS* a great way to squeeze performace
out of older hardware for file storage and sharing purposes.
Distributing reads/writes through a raid controller enables utilization
of that maximum bandwidth, which would not otherwise be possible through
a single drive - even newer drives.

Paul

message and its attachments and notify Space Imaging immediately.