Which distro to switch an FC3 samba server to?

Qian Qiao qian.qiao at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 19:29:50 UTC 2004

FC3 supports samba. I've got it to work.

The problem is that shadow-utils-4.0.3-40 does not support usernames
with a '$' trailing. Once upgraded to 4.0.3-42, it should run nicely.

Hope this helps. I've just join the list, so wasn't able to read your
reply.

Regards,

-- Joe

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:19:07 -0500 (EST), thom at customnetworks.ca
<thom at customnetworks.ca> wrote:
> > Since nothing I've been able to do on FC3 seems to provide consistent
> > samba service, and all the searches I've done indicate that FC3 doesn't
> > support samba, which distro do most folks recommend that would provide
> > the least painful transition?  I've been on RH8, RH9, FC1, and FC2.
> > I've dabbled with Mandrake for a while, and yddrasyle (sp?) years ago.
> > Fundamentally, what I'm looking for is a simple server, with samba
> > (shares/PDC), DNS, DHCP etc.
>
> I'm using Core 2 and having success with it. It really depends on your
> needs. If you have a server that can run for up to 5 years, go with RHEL.
> If it's a home server that you don't mind playing with then stick with
> Fedora, and upgrade it as you go. I've since switched my home server to
> RHEL for the stability.
>
> > I've enjoyed RedHat distros, especially the industry support, but a
> > distro that doesn't support samba is a non-starter for me.
> > Unfortunately, backing up to FC2 isn't really a workable option.  It
> > took the store I bought the machine from (three months ago) over a week
> > to get FC2 to recognize the built-in network card and the cdrom burner.
>
> I find the RedHat lists very helpful. You kind of fit in and get the
> assistance you need and it's always bang on. You just have to learn to
> play by the rules is all.
>
> If it took the store you bought the computer from over a week to get the
> NIC and CD-RW working, you really mean to say they sat it under the bench
> for 6 days and 23 hours, and then hauled it out and fixed it in an hour
> and gave it back to you?
>
> Almost ANY burner works out of the gate, and most NIC's do too. It's
> easier to replace a $5 NIC with something that is supported than to mess
> around for a couple of hours trying to get a non-standard one working.
>
> Just my opinion, which isn't much.
>
> --

Money can't buy everything.
Sometimes money can't even buy a gun...