Haldaemon and Vmware

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Dec 6 20:34:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Jeff Kinz wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 02:31:30PM -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > Latest Mailman 2.1.5 has the ability to strip the markup from HTML posts
> > and send them out as plain text.
> >
> > Lat time this suggestion was made, RH wasn't running the latest Mailman.
> > MM 2.0.x does not have this capability.  It looks like they are running a
> > 2.1.x MM now, so they could do this.
>
> Matt - next time you may want to read the entire email, including the
> parenthetical comments:
>
> > > (We will ignore, for the moment, the huge cost to RedHat of the processing
> > > load to strip out HTML from all their mailing lists. Note, all RH's
> > > mailings lists are handled by the same software)

Yes, as instructed, I was ignoring, for the moment, the remarks in
parentheses 8^).

> Yes, mailman does have that capability.  RH deliberately does not use it.
>

> #1 - large amount of additional processing, which is mostly
> wasted since very few HTML posts are made.
>
> #2 - Badly formed HTML. Some MUA's create HTML which does not parse
> cleanly and so cannot be reliable stripped out.
>
> #3 - Unneeded complexity.  Current mailman system isn't broke. Why
> muck with it? (Looking at it from their perspective)

That (#3) used to be the reason for not upgrading (2.0.x did not have this
capability), but it looks like something caught up to them and they did
upgrade.

I wasn't advocating one way or the other on this, and I wasn't quite clear
on which side you were advocating either.  Just adding a historical
perspective.

I'm deeply and profoundly saddened by what's happened to this thread,
which started its life so promisingly as a technical discussion of the
buggy interaction between VMware and haldaemon, and has degenerated into
another one of these endless discussions of nettiquette.  I will drop out
now and hope this branch dies a quick and painless death.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu