Haldaemon and Vmware

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Dec 6 21:25:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Cyber Source wrote:
>
> > Thanks Dan,
> >   It's a miracle I found your response between all the freakin posts
> > about html......
> >
> > Dan Anderson wrote:
> >
> >  For me,
> >
> > chkconfig --add vmware
> >
> > worked. Looks like they forgot to add a link to rc0.d when they did
> > the initscripts.
>
> Interesting.  I did a fresh install of VMware and applied the
> vmware-any-any-update84 patch (and copied /dev/vm* to /etc/udev).  All
> links are there (although the rc5.d and rc6.d links are absolute and the
> others are relative).  This doesn't seem to affect the behavior.
>
> The problem occurs whether shutting down (rc0) or rebooting (rc6).
>
> Since this thread started, I've noticed that haldaemon seems to crash on
> occasion (leaving no trace that I can see).  I'm wondering if that has
> something to do with this.

Guess not, at least not the obvious thing.  I just restarted a dead
haldaemon and then shut down, and it hung as before.

All the /etc/rc?.d/*vmware links are in place and point to the right
script.  The VMware shutdown messages appear on the console when the
script is invoked.  When the script attempts to shut down vmnet1, it fails
with the "unregsiter_netdevice...usage count 1" error message.
Eventually, the rest of the VMware shutdown messages appear, and then the
shutdown (or reboot) hangs completely and I have to power off.  (It's a
laptop, so no reset button.)

As an aside, the haldaemon service is stopped before the vmware service.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu