Which distro to switch an FC3 samba server to?

Qian Qiao qian.qiao at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 21:40:56 UTC 2004

Sorry for getting you confused. It's a 'incompatibility' (let's not
call that a bug) between shadow-utils-4.0.3-40 and samba running as
domain controllers.

Trusted window$ hosts using the DC needs an user account to be
created, that account must be ended with the $ (dollar) symbol. That's
where the problem comes in. shadow-utils-4.0.3-40 does not allow $
symbol in usernames.

If you a running a plain samba file server, you shouldn't worry about
upgrading you shadow-utils. :)

-- Joe

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:33:40 +0000, Ian Laurie <iml at zip.com.au> wrote:
> On 12/07/2004 07:51:48 AM, A. Rick Anderson wrote:
> > Qian Qiao wrote:
> >
> > >FC3 supports samba. I've got it to work.
> > >
> > >The problem is that shadow-utils-4.0.3-40 does not support usernames
> > >with a '$' trailing. Once upgraded to 4.0.3-42, it should run nicely.
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >
> > >-- Joe
>
> Now you have me confused.  I'm running shadow-utils-4.0.3-40 and my samba
> seems to be working correctly.... I can do everything I want to from
> Windoze boxes.  My environment is peer-to-peer though, no domain controller.
>
> Is the "bug" only in environments with a domain controller ????
>
> Or am I on borrowed time ????   So far samba has been flawless.
>
> Ian
>
> --

Money can't buy everything.
Sometimes money can't even buy a gun...