Which distro to switch an FC3 samba server to?

Qian Qiao qian.qiao at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 22:27:44 UTC 2004

Yes, it will.

The things is, a simple add machine script with only one line of
'adduser' command is just dead easy. Most people want things to be
simple, which I guess is one of the reason the $ support is added back
in.

In the POSIX username standard, the $ character isn't included,
however, the spec also said that extensions to the username characters
are allowed. Stick to the spec or extend it?

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 05:43:00 +0800, John Summerfield
<debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 December 2004 05:40, Qian Qiao wrote:
> > Trusted window$ hosts using the DC needs an user account to be
> > created, that account must be ended with the $ (dollar) symbol. That's
> > where the problem comes in. shadow-utils-4.0.3-40 does not allow $
> > symbol in usernames.
> >
> > If you a running a plain samba file server, you shouldn't worry about
> > upgrading you shadow-utils. :)
>
> I expect vipw will take care of that:-)
>
> --
>
> Cheers