help with Novell/ximian connector

pdoak at campusmail.com.edu pdoak at campusmail.com.edu
Mon Dec 6 23:37:03 UTC 2004

Hello:

I have Fedora Core 2 installed on my system and need to install and
configure ximian connector. I have downloaded the RPM for Connector
(ximian-connector-1.4.7.2-0.ximian.6.1.i386.rpm) but when I try to install
it I get a dependancy error, saying that I need 'libcom_err.so.3'.

Google tells me that this file is available from the kerberos package
(krb5-libs-1.2.7-4.i386.rpm). I downloaded the closest I could find to
that package (krb5-libs-1.2.7.10.i386.rpm) and used rpm to query the
package. Sure enough the 'libcom_err.so.3' was in the package.

Now the problem.

When I try to install the package I get an error stating that a newer
version of kerberos (krb5-devl-1.3.3-1) is already installed. But this
later version does not include the libcom_err.so.3 that ximian connector
needs.

I tried uninstalling the newer version, in the hope of replacing it with
an older version, but found that it is required by a large number of
applications which I would have to uninstall.

Has anyone here installed ximian connector? If so, can you point me in the
right direction for getting it installed.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Pete Doak, CET
Associate Professor
College of the Mainland