Which distro to switch an FC3 samba server to?

A. Rick Anderson arick at pobox.com
Mon Dec 6 23:48:35 UTC 2004

Rich Burroughs wrote:

>A. Rick Anderson wrote:
>

>>The shadow-utils was stuck at shadow-utils-4.0.3-37, which is obviously
>>not correct.  According to the RH Alert Notification Tool, I've got
>>about 2 dozen non-current packages.  But up2date, smart and apt-get seem
>>to think I'm just fine.
>>

>Perhaps they think you're still running FC2, and those packages are the
>latest ones for that version...

But when I go to the actual FC3 distros directory, they are still
showing the back level version.  For example:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/
and
http://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/

both show shadow-utils-4.0.3-37.i386.rpm
<http://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/shadow-utils-4.0.3-37.i386.rpm>
not shadow-utils-4.0.3-40.i386.rpm
<http://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/shadow-utils-4.0.3-37.i386.rpm>

However, on the positive side, I finally got apt-get to finish its update successfully.  Now it recognizes that I have over 615 MBytes to download.  Assuming I don't get "fap'ed", which I will, that means I have a ten hour download ahead of me in order to ensure that all of my packages are updated.  <sigh>

Here's to hoping that somewhere, buried in all those updates, is a fix to this problem.  I haven't changed the smb.conf since FC2, nor any other configuration files, so here's to hope!

Appreciate your help so far.  At least I am not sitting dead at a brick wall, with the prospect of a totally fresh install as the only option available to me.

--
A. Rick Anderson