network printer probs in fc3 vs fc2

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Dec 7 19:47:48 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 07.12.2004 schrieb sola at doctor.com um 17:44:

> I have an identical physical system swaping out only the harddisk between fc2 and fc3:
> network printer hp laserjet 4mplus directly attached to netgear ps101
> printserver and then to ethernet 10/100 lan.

I have the same Netgear printserver.

> in fc2 generic postscript driver works using cups with no problems.
> in fc3 kernel 2.6.9-1.667  no way! no matter what I try, ie, not
> found using a browser, nor gui print conf, nor localhost:631  etc
> in fc3 connection to internet is up and running, everything else ok
> using ping to connect to printserver is ok
> but scan of all ports in printserver shows none are open!
> I'm a newb at a total loss!

>     Steve

Run system-config-printer-gui and add the printer(s) with queue type
"UNIX printserver LPD", server is NETGEAR for me and queue is "P1" and
"P2". This creates following in

/etc/cups/printers.conf

<DefaultPrinter HP-LJ-6MP-PS>
Info Created by redhat-config-printer 0.6.x
DeviceURI lpd://NETGEAR/P1
Location Hewlett Packard LaserJet 6MP-PS
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

No problem here with both FC2 and FC3.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 20:42:00 up 1 day, 20:04, load average: 0.86, 1.04, 1.11