Lost all network connectivity after clean FC3 install

Salvatore Indiogine sindiogine at yahoo.it
Wed Dec 8 01:34:14 UTC 2004

An update:

For some reason DHCP in FC3, unlike FC1, is not able
to assign a correct gateway to eth0.

I booted up in Knoppix which also has no problem to
configure eth0 with DHCP.  Poking around in /etc of
Knoppix I found out which gateway was given to eth0.

Rebooted in FC3 and added "GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
(of course the correct numbers) to

This is most likely a hack and not a fix.  But at
least now I can connect to the internet.

Any suggestions for a real fix?

Thanks!

Enrico

-- Enrico Indiogine <sindiogine at yahoo.it> ha scritto:
> [...]
> with
> only 1 PC as far as I can tell.
>
> 2. I have no idea on how to log into my cable modem.
>
> With FC1 I had absolutely no problems.  I just had
> configured eth0 to use DHCP.
>
> 3. I will try to set the eth0 gateway to 68.187.12.0
> and see what happens.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Enrico
>
>  --- Jay Scherrer <jay at scherrer.com> ha scritto:
> > Make your Gateway to your (68.187.12.0) if its a
> > fixed addess
> > otherwise Assign a lan address to your to your
> cable
> > modem and have
> > that as your gatway.
> > Mine is like so if I'm running a DHCP ISP:
> > /etc/hosts
> > 192.1681.1  myCableModem (the gateway)
> > 192.168.1.110 mylinuxBox1
> > 192.168.1.150 myOtherLinuxbox
> >
> > The Cable modem is probably running as a router
> also
> > isn't it?
> > Have logged into the cable modem?
> > If you do make sure you change your password from
> > the default  :-)
> >
> > Jay Scherrer
> >
> > On Tuesday 07 December 2004 06:58 am, you wrote:
> > > Hi Jay!
> > >
> > > Your observation makes sense.  If I do a
> "netstat
> > -rn"
> > > with both eth0 (-> cable modem) and eth1 (-> LAN
> )
> > > activated, I see that the default gateway is
> > 10.0.0.1.
> > >
> > > When I run "ifdown eth1" which will inactivate
> the
> > LAN
> > > NIC and run "netstat -rn" again I get this:
> > >
> > > destination: 68.187.12.0
> > > gateway:     0.0.0.0
> > > genmask:     255.255.252.0
> > > flags:       U
> > > MSS:         0
> > > Window:      0
> > > irtt:        0
> > > Iface:       eth0
> > >
> > > I can ping the inet address assigned to eth0 by
> > DHCP
> > > and can also ping 0.0.0.0.  However, when I ping
> > the
> > > ip address of one of the DNS servers (from
> > > /etc/resolv.conf) I get:
> > >
> > > Connect: Network is unreachable
> > >
> > > Same with any other IP on the outside.
> > >
> > > When I check the timestamp of /etc/resolv.conf
> it
> > is
> > > equal to the PCs startup time.  So, the cable
> > modem is
> > > able to (re)recreate /etc/resolv.conf each time.
> > >
> > > What should the default gateway to my cable
> modem
> > be
> > > (0.0.0.0 seems not to be correct) and where do I
> > > configure it?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> > pointing to

> > > Nuovo Yahoo! Messenger: E' molto più divertente:
 Scaricalo ora!