I had to cause more problems!

Andrew Choens achoens at frontiernet.net
Wed Dec 8 01:53:05 UTC 2004

Mathew S. Nowend wrote:

> After finally getting everything working on my dell inspiron 8600 dell
> decided to send me the correct laptop that I originally ordered (don’t
> mind the hours of countless fighting J )
>
> Anyways I am now running a P4 32.ht with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
> 128 meg video card, Broadcom 570x gigabit nic, sigma-tel C major audio
> chipset, and a dvd-rw.
>
> I went to ATI’s website and followed the links to the Linux driver
> section and chose the mobility section and it said to see my pc
> manufacturer website for driver details. Well I called Dell as
>
> Well as looking on their website and found no links or drivers. I was
> hoping someone might have some insight on that or the other above
> hardware above stated. Sorry for going through all the original work
>
> And then having to redo it all on this new machine. But all help is
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mathew

This seems to be the day of xorg questions. I just posted to Shailesh
Mahadik an hour or two ago about his xorg.conf questions. Most of my
posting to him should be applicable to you as well. I'll be honest, I'm
just using the default open-source drivers and I don't have any problems
with my card. I can play games is I want to...I just found out I can
play tux-racer...but I know bzflag also works well, and I don't have as
new of a card as you do. The point I'm trying to make is this: Why do
you want to use their proprietary drivers so badly? Do you have a need
for this, or are you just making life unusually difficult on yourself
for the fun of it?

As for the other stuff, I love to see Tux on a Laptop. What other
problems are you running into? I've only joined this forum fairly
recently, so I don't recall your earlier trials and tribulations, and
the new ones are probably different anyway.

--andy