What happened to cvsd?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Dec 8 03:48:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Thomas wrote:

> Ed Wilts wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 01:23:09AM +0100, Thomas wrote:
> >>
> >>i tried to setup a cvs server recently and noticed that there is no cvsd
> >>to be found in the fedora repos.
> >
> >In about 10 seconds, a google search for "cvsd fc3" pointed me to:
> >http://atrpms.net/dist/fc3/cvsd/
> >It's the *first* result returned.
> >

> Oh, i see, i admit i could have done some more research first.
>
> I was searching via synaptic and didnt find it because i excluded
> at-rpms because it has issues that have been discussed here lately.
> Somehow i was convinced that something like cvsd would be found in
> virtually every repo, including the official fedora repo. Which is not
> the case. The reason for that could be the fact that there are more
> modern versioning systems with the intend to replace cvsd.

Subversion.  But that's not really the point.  In RH Enterprise products,
CVS is configured to run as a sever using xinetd rather than running a
daemon.  I assume that FC is intended to run the same way.  Having said
that, I don't see /etc/xinetd/cvs on my FC3 system even though I have cvs
installed.  It's not in the cvs manifest for either FC3 or RHES.  And it's
not owned by any package in my RHES system.  So I'm left to conlude that I
created it on the RHES system.  (Unfortunately, I can't remember where I
got the example...)

Its contents are:

service cvspserver
{
   disable     = no
   socket_type = stream
   protocol    = tcp
   wait        = no
   user        = root
   passenv     = PATH
   server      = /usr/bin/cvs
   server_args = -f --allow-root=/home/cvsuser/cvsdir pserver
}

> Is it generally ok to ask such stupid questions here?
> Maybe i could use a place to ask questions of a much more simple kind.
> (like what do i have to type to mount smb share for example)
> Is there something like a 'beginners' mailing list?

This would be the place (and that's not actually that stupid a question).
But you get less flack if you at least research the obvious sources before
asking.  Anyway, the flack is all part of the game; don't take it too
personally.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences