Compat Libraries (was Re: libcurl.so.2)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Dec 8 08:11:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 00:59 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Cross posted (from fedora users to fedora-devel ... maybe we need a
> fedora-philosophy list ? ;)
>
> On 12/07/2004 12:34:23 PM, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> > Paul Howarth wrote:
> >> http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/sysutils/Mirroring/compat-libcurl-7.11.2-2.i386.rpm
> >
> > I'd kind of expect this RPM to be part of FC3 distro, but it wasn't.
>
> I agree.
> I've had to package a couple compat libraries myself (libgal2 and
> libgtkhtml3) as software I needed refused to compile against the fc3
> (gnome 2.8) versions, but did fine against the fc2 (gnome 2.6)
> versions.

Doesn't a compat library just contain the shared libraries themselves
(and maybe some documentation)? It wouldn't help in compiling
applications that won't build on later versions of the library - I've
never seen a compat-xyz-devel library... the compat library just helps
run binaries built against the older library.

> I'm not sure they should be installed by default on a fc3 system -
> compat-libstdc++ does because fc3 ships with software that wants it (I
> think OO.o)

compat-libstdc++ is only installed if needed, as are the other compat-
libraries.

> - but what would be *nice* is if a fedora-compat repository
> were somewhat maintained that included binary compat shared libraries
> for cases such as these, where a third party package wants an older
> version of a shared library.

Yes, that would be useful.

> If possible, the compat packages should be built in fc3 systems and
> link against current fc3 libraries themselves when they can (ie build
> the compat packages on fc3)

Agreed.

Paul.
--