DNS with classeless IP address in FC3

Dr J Austin ja at ee.port.ac.uk
Wed Dec 8 10:10:32 UTC 2004

> Date: Wed,  8 Dec 2004 10:38:24 +0100 (CET)
> From: Sid RAMDANE <sid.ramdane at wanadoo.fr>
> Subject: DNS with classeless IP address in FC3
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> Hello every one,
> I always have been Microsoft oriented with all whistles and bells around it, until I have discovered Fedora to admit that I have been loosing my time AND MONEY in Microsoft.
> I have installed Fedora C2 and was getting a lot of troubles until to discover that my problem is caused by my Asus motherboard. I then downloaded the fix for it and reinstalled without any trouble. Then I have made a new install using FC3
> Now, I have got a PB with fedora, which I think is cased by my ISP not doing reverse resolution.
> I have registered a domain, lets say called *fedora.com, relayed by registrar who is not my ISP.
> Ftp, SMTP, www, pop3, etc are pointed to lets say a fixed IP address 10.10.10.10/32 (IP address I am getting from my ISP).
> The command host, dig, nslookup all show that everything is correctly configured.
> I have configured an internal DNS as catching only using the dns I have been given by my registrar and using as well DNS of my ISP.
> However all incoming traffic, ftp and www seems to end up somewhere in my ISP network. It never reaches my IP address 10.10.10.10/32
> When the command nslookup is executed on my address 10.10.10.10, I got answer that it is for my ISP and not for my domain *fedora.com.
> I am using Fedora C3 and I believe everything works ok. From my network I can have access to my ftp server, my web server and can send e-mail as well and receive e-mail as well from my pop ISP account. However ftp and www from outside doe not work.
> Is there anyway to by pass this issue? Do you think it caused by the fact that there is no reverse resolution for my IP 10.10.10.10/32?
> Any type/help will be welcomed!
> Also do you know why the “Ask Mr DNS” site is not accessible anymore?
> Many thanks in advance and,
> Kind regards
> Sid
Hi Sid,
	A few questions to help understand the problem
	How are you connected to the ISP ?
Separate ADSL modem, USB modem ....
and is the IP address of your machine a public address
Has a firewall (iptables) been set up ?
Is any NATting taking place ?

I do not believe it is a DNS problem but feels like a routing/firewall problem
Can you get in from outside using IP addresses instead of names ?

Cheers John