Some root mail not coming through

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Dec 8 02:56:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 22:24, John Swartzentruber wrote:
> On 12/5/2004 3:39 AM Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 04:29, John Swartzentruber wrote:
> >

> >I'm guessing that arthur is the one which is relaying all the messages??
> >
> >Can you check if the mesage queue in buster is in the queue?
> >
> /var/spool/mqueue is empty
> /var/spool/clientmqueue is empty
>                 Total requests: 0

and I presume there's really nothing in those directories? (I'm sure
there isn't, just asking the obvious)

> FYI, I just tried sending mail from buster using the "mail" command.
What sort of MTA do you use? Sendmail?
The mail command is, mailx I presume?

/bin/mailx->mail

>From the manpage of "man 5 crontab"
In addition to LOGNAME, HOME, and SHELL, cron(8) will look at MAILTO
if it has any reason to send  mail  as  a result of running commands in
``this'' crontab.  If MAILTO is defined (and non-empty), mail is
sent to the user so named.  If MAILTO is defined but empty
(MAILTO=""),  no  mail  will be sent.  Otherwise mail is sent to the owner
of the crontab.  This option is useful if you decide on /bin/mail
instead of  /usr/lib/sendmail  as  your  mailer  when  you
install cron -- /bin/mail doesn't do aliasing, and UUCP usually doesn't read its mail.

Can you check your MAILTO variable??

/shot in the dark

--
Ow Mun Heng