Azureus startup failure (java/modules?)

Scott Fones boson245 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 11:40:05 UTC 2004

I'm not sure this is the best place to post this-I've already posted
on justlinux and on the apps sourceforge forum.  I've been working on
this since last Thurs or Fri, so this is one of those last chance type
posts.  Anyway, I've been trying to get Azureus working and always get
the same basic errors.

[boson245 at localhost azureus]$ ./azureus
Starting Azureus...
/home/boson245/Downloads/Internet/Java/jdk1.5.0/jre/bin/java -Xms16m
-Xmx128m -cp "/home/boson245/Downloads/Applications/Azureus/azureus/Azureus2.jar:/home/boson245/Downloads/Applications/Azureus/azureus/swt.jar:/home/boson245/Downloads/Applications/Azureus/azureus/swt-mozilla.jar:/home/boson245/Downloads/Applications/Azureus/azureus/swt-pi.jar"
-Djava.library.path="/home/boson245/Downloads/Applications/Azureus/azureus"
-Dazureus.install.path="/home/boson245/Downloads/Applications/Azureus/azureus"
org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main ''
StartSocket: passing startup args to already-running Azureus java process.
DEBUG::Wed Dec 08 06:24:29 EST 2004
  java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:364)
        at org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.StartSocket.<init>(StartSocket.java:44)
        at org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main.<init>(Main.java:75)
        at org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main.main(Main.java:115)
Azureus TERMINATED.

I was given these commands to clear and flush iptables, but to no avail.

iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t filter -F
iptables -t filter -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -t filter -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -t filter -P FORWARD ACCEPT

I've tried linking it to jdk 1.5, jre 1.5 and jre1.4, but always get
the same output.  ./azureus is a script that checks for a valid java
install and then calls a jar file.  I've let it find java on its own
(jre1.4 rpm), and explicitly told it where to find java's bin folder.
It never exits saying that java is broken, so I'm having trouble
isolating the issue.  Whats more, I did a fresh install of FC3 over
the weekend and had it working...twice!  Then I updated and whatnot,
and now I'm back where I started.  I can also get the program to run
on two windows boxes on the network.  So I'm wondering if there's a
module or service that is enabled/disabled that would cause this?