Can I keep users from receiving mail from the Internet?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Dec 8 16:51:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 10:54, Fedora wrote:
> I'm using sendmail as the MTA and I would like to make it impossible for
> certain users (root comes to mind, but there are other userids as well) to
> receive email from the Internet.
>
> I'd like to "block" it, as opposed to having some sort of filter throw it
> away after it's arrived.  Ideally, these few userids would appear to be
> invalid to anyone outside my network.
>
> On the other hand ... I do need for all users to be able to receive email
> "internally" (i.e., from localhost).
>
> In my case, spammers have discovered that there is <gasp!> a "root" user
> that they can send email to.
>
> Any thoughts?

I believe you can do this via the access file.  Just be careful, test it
for local users access, you could block email for a user from all
sources.

An entry something like:

To:root at yourdomain.xxx   error:5.7.0:550 Address invalid

May do the trick.  What I am not 100% sure of is if this will block
local email sent to root which you don't want to do.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"I'd love to go out with you, but the man on television told me to say tuned."