saving RAM questions

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 17:30:49 UTC 2004

Matt Morgan wrote:
> So I'm looking for
> ways to save on RAM.
>
> I know about turning off daemons that aren't important. I've turned
> off all but the most essential, although it doesn't make that much
> difference after the first few, really. I know about the light
> desktops like XFCE, but we want to stick with Gnome or KDE in this
> case. Is there anything else big I'm missing--any other important way
> to save on RAM?

What sort of graphics do they have: separate graphics cards, or is the
graphics integrated into the chipset? In the latter case, make sure that
you only allocate the memory you need to the graphics subsystem: 1 to 4
MB, usually, depending on resolution.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Telsa ruthlessly depopulates the cuddly toy pile.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | There is only room for so many penguins in any one