public blacklists

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Dec 8 18:23:13 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 08.12.2004 schrieb HaJo Schatz um 19:05:

> > >     reject_rbl_client dnsbl.sorbs.net,
> > >     reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org,
> > >     reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
>
> Missed the original post (too much about FC3 install/config issues here
> these days...) but I remember we discussed recently (initiated by Thomas
> Zehetbauer's anger regarding such list) that it might not be a good idea
> to use such lists for a "hard reject". These lists are an indication,
> not the ultimate source of good/evil (whereas individuals might argue
> about the specific entry of hostmaster.org [big grin, sorry Thomas]).
>
> Better use these lists with a rating system like spamassassin.
>
> HaJo

That is a very valid objection. From the list above for instance spamcop
is known to be very aggressive. And spamhaus recently blacklisted a big
German mail provider web.de. Though really spam was the reason you
quickly can keep out masses of valid and legal senders. So like HaJo
says, better don't blindly trust RBLs.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 19:12:49 up 2 days, 18:35, load average: 0.30, 0.29, 0.26