MP3 to OGG converters

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Dec 8 21:19:56 UTC 2004

On 12/08/2004 10:04:31 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
> Can anyone tell me of a good MP3 to OGG converter for linux?  Is one
> included with FC3?

One is not included in fc3
You will need to add mp3 support to your fc3 install. One way to do
that would be to add the rpm.livna.org repositories to your yum.conf
file, and install their libmad package (for decoding mp3)

As has been mentioned, you will lose the tags unless you save them
first for passing them to oggenc.

I do this when transcoding from flac (lossless) to mp3 with a shell
script, but I've never gone from mp3 to anything else, as has been
mentioned - mp3 is lossy, and it is not wise to go from lossy to lossy.

If you are having issues playing mp3 files hence your desire to
transcode, a better solution imho is to simply add mp3 support to fc3.
Then you can listen to your mp3's.

Again - the rpm.livna.org repositories are needed.

Once you've configured yum for rpm.livna.org -

yum install gstreamer-plugins-mp3 xmms-mp3

That will install everything you need to play mp3's in either rhythmbox
or xmms.