ntpdate question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Dec 9 04:01:20 UTC 2004

Greetings;

I'm finally getting my errant clock under control but it took runnng
ntpdate in the adjtime mode at 15 minute intervals to get it to
eventually settle, with a tickadj setting in the 9925 area.

Now I'm seeing it drift back and forth a fraction of a second, and
I'd like to preserve the adjustment ntpdate is doing across a reboot
by some means other than hard coding the tickadj in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Unforch /var/lib/ntp/drift although being touched, is not being
updated with anything but a 0.0000 setting.

Does anyone know where ntpdate keeps its adjustment setting?
The man page seems to be less than helpfull about this, only saying
that it makes adjustments if the error is less than 128 milliseconds.

That also seems like a needless bottleneck and if that could be
expanded to 1.28 seconds it would be a lot handier out here in the
multiflora rose, hydrangia and mountain laural country.  Hints
gleefully checked out since I hate pounding on the network
timeservers at 15 minute intervals.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)