Haldaemon and Vmware [apparently NOT SOLVED after all]

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Dec 9 04:30:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 17:43 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > >
> > > So far, it is working after the following steps:
> > >[...]
> > >
> > > (4) Things appear to work (so far).  Note that "service vmware status"
> > > lies about whether vmmon and vmnet modules are insmodded, but
> > > functionality doesn't appear to be affected.
> > >
> > > So the problem appears to have been in both the original RPM (improper
> > > symlinks) and the update84 (something else broken).  I'll report back if I
> > > see any more problems, otherwise, I think it's solved.  I'll see what
> > > VMware newsgoups have to say about fixing the next update.

I am sorry to report that when I shut down this evening, I saw the same
unregister_netdevice error that started this thread.  And I didn't even
actually run a virtual machine.

I have a feeling it may have something to do with the fact that this
machine is a laptop (i.e., suspended and resumed) but stay tuned for more
experimental results as I get the time to play with it.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu