Same named packages, different dependencies

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Dec 9 10:12:47 UTC 2004

A1tmblwd at netscape.net wrote:
>> If it is coincidence up2date, yum and apt are in dire need of
>> improvement because none of these applications can distinguish between
>> packages from an authoritative source and 3rd-party. Once the
>> repositories are enabled these applications will indicate that
>> ATrpms's package is an upgrade for Fedora's.
>>
> I need to correct myself.  The rpm naming scheme need improvement so
> that up2date, etc. can perform the differentiation.

It's not the naming scheme that needs improvement hare, it's the package
management software (up2date, yum etc.). The smart package manager (and maybe
others too?) as plugged here recently by Dag (RPMs at
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/smart/) can be configured not to allow a
repository to overwrite another repo's (or a core) package quite easily. The
discrimination occurs at the repository level, not using package naming.

Paul.