Anaconda crashing left and right

Daniel Yek danieyek at alumni.washington.edu
Thu Dec 9 10:36:55 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm having problem installing FC3 on a PC with the following
configuration:
o ASUS A7N8X (non-deluxe) motherboard
o Two Seagate HDs (200GB and 120GB) joined with LVM (there are a lot of
Logical Volumes, but only one used for root file system. /boot is a
separate partition. Tried installing on a plain partition too - crashed
too.)

I tried installing many times and anaconda kept crashing, with different
reasons and at different stages of the installation.

A lot of times, it crashed/hanged when formatting partitions.

I installed Simply MEPIS on the system and "stress-test" it by opening
up many applications and the system was stable. So, that reduced the
possibility that there were hardware problems (defective memory chip or
hard drives).

Earlier, I installed FC3 on a low-end PC and I was able to complete the
installation (even though anaconda crashed because, I think, it
calculated the required disk space wrongly and simply crashed if it
thought there wasn't enough disk space.)

Any idea what can be the problem and more importantly, what is the
workaround? I tried acpi=off switch already and it didn't help.

(1)
In Anaconda GUI installation, I got this error one time (a lot of times,
I didn't get any error, just hang):

/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/network.gui.py: 265: GtkWarning: file gtktable.c:
line 515 (gtk_table_resize): assertion `n_rows > 0 && n_rows < 65536'
failed
   devTable = gtk.Table(len(devopts),2)
install exited abnormally.

(2)
Also in Anaconda GUI installation mode:
*** glibc detected *** corrupted double-linked list 0x0c152610 ***
install exited abnormally.

(3)
In Anaconda Text mode:
Traceback(most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 1165, in?
  intf.run(id,dispatch, configFileData)
File "/usr/src/build/475960-i386/install//usr/lib/anaconda/text/py",
line 477, in run
  exec.S
File "<string>" line 1, in ?
  valueError: bad marshal data