public blacklists

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Thu Dec 9 11:10:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 02:54, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 13:01, D. D. Brierton wrote:

> You may also want to check out the SARES web site.  They maintain a
> large number of additional rule sets that can help detect spam.  They
> are easy to add to your system and they have a method to pull updates
> automatically (I just update manually as needed).

Interesting. I will have to look that up when I get home. (where I have
I-net access)

> The SURBL option examines the URLs in the spam messages and checks
> various block lists.  If they show up on the block list the score is
> increased appropriately.

I was just asking that question. Thanks for clearing that up. So,
effectively, it's just another form of greylisting then.

> One suggestion, set things up to run spamassassin only on non mailing
> list messages.  That will improve the speed of email processing on your
> system.  I have seen very little spam in the mailing lists so this seems
> to be a reasonable process.

That depends actually, Most mailing lists runs some sort of spam checks.
But some don't. eg: ACPI-Devel. Now, that one does not, it even has
viruses coming in.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on D600 1.4Ghz