Same named packages, different dependencies

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Dec 9 12:38:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 03:57:06AM -0500, A1tmblwd at netscape.net wrote:
> If it is coincidence up2date, yum and apt are in dire need of
> improvement because none of these applications can distinguish between
> packages from an authoritative source and 3rd-party. Once the
> repositories are enabled these applications will indicate that
> ATrpms's package is an upgrade for Fedora's.

That's what yum's protectbase is for.  Recent versions of yum should
attempt to protect your Fedora base packages from being overwritten by
another repository.  I used this without issues on a Tao Linux system -
I haven't seen what's happening on my new FC3 system.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org