public blacklists

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Dec 9 13:13:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 06:05, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 01:07, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > >
> > What you could do is implement spamassassin, the new version 3.0 has
> > SURBL support which I have heard is very very good.  But you will still
> > be processing each message.
>
> Now, this would be interesting. I'm on Spamassassin 2.64, and it uses
> bayes. What's this SURBL you talk about? I would head over to
> spamassassin's website but I don't have I-Net access.

SURBL is a realtime block list which spamassassin uses to check the URLs
that are normally embedded in the spam messages.  Reports I read awhile
back indicated great success in tagging spam.  SURBL replaced a number
of the rule sets that were previously maintained on the rulesemporium
site such as bigevil and another one that I can't remember.  Those extra
rulesets were getting so big that they were consuming tremendous amounts
of memory.

Bayes is very good and is used in combination with SURBL and the other
rules.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Depart not from the path which fate has assigned you.