Dump errors with selinux

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 15:53:02 UTC 2004

Stephen Smalley wrote:
> I don't know if there is a patch for dump/restore to deal with extended
> attributes, but star handles them.  star can preserve extended
> attributes, including SELinux file contexts.  IIRC, the usage is
> something like the following:
>
> Creating an archive with attributes included:
> 	star -Hxustar -xattr -c -f foo.tar /path/to/dir
>
> Expanding an archive and preserving attributes from it:
> 	star -xattr -x -f foo.tar
>
> However, if you don't expect to customize your file contexts, you may
> choose to not back them up at all, and just run restorecon on files when
> you restore them to reset their contexts based on the file_contexts
> configuration.

Cheers for that.  I hadn't heard of star but it certainly looks like an
option for us.  I don't expect that we'll change the file contexts so I
would be happy to use dump and restorecon, except that the log files
from our backups are just ridiculously large with an error for every
inode, and I can't seem to silence these warnings without potentially
missing real errors.

Simon.