Same named packages, different dependencies

A1tmblwd at netscape.net A1tmblwd at netscape.net
Thu Dec 9 16:02:01 UTC 2004

Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 A1tmblwd at netscape.net wrote:
>
>> Dag Wieer's package has the least dependencies. After my last
>> experience this would appear to be for the good. The code for
>> perl-XML-Parser comes from a common source, www.cpan.org.  So, why the
>> difference in dependencies?  Why are third-party packagers not using the
>> source rpm and spec file from Fedora Core so that this difference in
>> dependencies does not occur?
>
>Because at the point that this was packaged, there was no alternative. My
>original package existed before any official one.
>
>Your analysis correctly points out that if you're using my repository with
>the official packages, the official packages (at least for FC3) are
>prefered because they're newer. So my package is really void. I don't
>think anyone is using it.
>

>> Any way, what I have learned from venturing beyond Fedora mirrors is
>> that the selection of third-party packagers/repositories does matter.
>
>Good data, bad conclusion :)

Ed Wilts made a reference to a protectbase setting for yum. It does not seem to be present in yum-2.1.11-3. Without such a feature for yum or apt it is a bad conclusion for 3rd-party vendors such as yourself.

Even the protectbase feature may not be enough.  Quoting from the tao yum.conf file, http://www.hughesjr.com/tao/yum.conf.txt :

# The Dag Wieers repository of RHEL3 compatible RPMs; best used in combination
# with the 'protectbase' patch.  See /usr/share/doc/yum-*/README.protectbase.
# Some of his rpms upgrade stuff in the Tao basesystem, which you may or may
# not want.
I, personally, appreciate the service you provide

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.