Same named packages, different dependencies

A1tmblwd at netscape.net A1tmblwd at netscape.net
Thu Dec 9 16:27:03 UTC 2004

Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 A1tmblwd at netscape.net wrote:
>
>> Dag Wieer's package has the least dependencies. After my last
>> experience this would appear to be for the good. The code for
>> perl-XML-Parser comes from a common source, www.cpan.org.  So, why the
>> difference in dependencies?  Why are third-party packagers not using the
>> source rpm and spec file from Fedora Core so that this difference in
>> dependencies does not occur?
>
>Because at the point that this was packaged, there was no alternative. My
>original package existed before any official one.

Dag, please clarify.  Do you mean that you were the first to put out a perl-XML-Parser for a Redhat/Fedora release and that RedHat/Fedora later added the module to their distribution or do you mean that you were the first to release a package based on CPAN's 2.34 code base?

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.