Trouble logging in

David Fletcher fm_maillists at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 9 23:29:09 UTC 2004

On Thursday 09 Dec 2004 9:06 pm, Don wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just installed Fedora Core 3 on a HP desktop (PIII 1.0 GHz, 256MB).  After
> the install and setup, I get the login screen.  I try to log in as root
> (enter root and password).  I see a clock image appear on the top right but
> nothing happens.  My computer does not freeze as I can still move my mouse
> but I don't get logged in.
>
> I has RedHat 9.0 and Fedora Core 2 previously on this machine with no such
> problems.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Don

This sounds a little like what happened with my installation. If you hold down
the left mouse button somewhere on a blank bit of screen can you drag down to
a logout option?

I installed KDE but not GNOME. Selecting Session at the bottom of the login
screen let me select KDE, I then obtained the KDE desktop after logging in.

To make the KDE desktop the default you can change /etc/sysconfig/desktop to

DESKTOP="KDE"

Dave Fletcher