Loss of Video: where do I set resolution?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 00:06:12 UTC 2004

Andoni wrote:
> It is as though something is trying to book in graphical mode but the
> resolution is up too high for my card.
>
> Where would I find that?
>
> TIA,
> Andoni.
>
> Background info:
>
> I have just installed FC3 on my system. Even though I installed the GNOME
> option it did not bring me to a desktop at all. I don't know if it should.
> Anyway, then I removed sendmail from the startup procedure using:
>
> chkconfig sendmail off
>
> Then I rebooted to see what effect this would have an now I have lost video
> altogether! It gets to the navy screen saying "booting Fedora 2.6.xxx in
> 3,2, 1" then the screen goes blank!
>
> I have changed the video card and no joy. I know it's working because I can
> login by typing (though I can't see it come up) root,password,halt. And the
> system goes down and I can hear the HDD stop.
>
> Now I have found that if, when I get the "Fedora" navy screen I go into the
> 'c' option I can type commands and when I escape out of this I can get to
> the login prompt in text mode.

Well, you've got a long way. Turning off sendmail should have no effect,
as you'd expect.

Terminology: the "Fedora navy screen" is also known as the Grub menu. In
it, highlight the Fedora kernel and press "e" to edit it. Delete "rhgb"
and "quiet" from the line beginning "kernel", and put a " 3" there. That
should boot you into text mode.

Then run
system-config-display --reconfig
as root.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | *No-one* liked the Joshua N'Clement block. The people
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | who lived there thought everyone should be taken out