FC2 GUI on Intel Celeron 500MHz very slow

Craig Thomas cjtinhp at optonline.net
Fri Dec 10 02:28:38 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 12:32 -0800, Kshitij Velhal wrote:
> I have a m/c with following config
> Intel Celeron 500MHz
> 450 MB RAM
> ATI 3D Rage Pro 1x/2x AGP
> Microtek 17" Monitor

I think that's enough for a usable GUI.  I've got FC2 on a 433mhz/196MB
RAM and it works quit well for most things[1] under X, albeit a little
slowly compared to younger machines. Without X, it's almost fast[tm].

> I generaly login as root.

Don't. Create a new user account and use it for regular computing.  Save
root [su - ] for admin only. Much safer that way, both from others and
your-self.

> The memory usage is always around 400MB. And I don't think there are
> may services running in background.

Fedora, and Linux in general, 'uses' most of your memory most of the
time. After all, what good is unused memory?

> Can anybody help me to improve the performance. Of course I don't want
> it to be like a brand new P4 box but at least it should be comparable
> with what I get with Windows.

Use a lighter weight desktop such as XFCE.  There are others, let google
be your guide. Also, you can run a simple theme if using Gnome or KDE,
it does help improve speed.

--
Craig Thomas <cjtinhp at optonline.net>

[1]Word processing/office, web browsing, email, IM.