Fedora Core 2 won't recompile to run AGP, NVIDIA

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Dec 10 02:33:15 UTC 2004

On 12/09/2004 05:59:42 PM, John Burns wrote:

> this. There is a serious crediblity issue if you can't recompile a
> kernel (given all the pre-req compilers and standard instructions for
> compiling kernels)

Credibility with who?
Not with Fedora - compiling kernels in FC2 works just fine.

> Does anyone know why the sources seem broken with respect to AGP?

They aren't AFAIK.

> I'm willing to forgive being forced to use agpgart if I could run a
> stripped down Fedora kernel. All the other features worked, the boot
> speed was FAST, and the RAM imprint was 30-40 MB less (a huge
> decrease)

The kernel is modular. It only loads modules it needs to.
Are you sure you aren't comparing gui ram usage to cli ram usage?
Is there read caching in the ram usage?

> Were the released, prebuilt kernels rigged in undocumented ways to
> get NVIDIA AGP support working?

No.

> Why would home builds (using similar tools and the
> *included* .config) fail to reproduce what I'm running now?

I don't know.

> Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
> It's a shame to be stuck using bloated kernels after using those
> speedy, lightweight builds.

Did you benchmark?