network printer probs in fc3 vs fc2

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Dec 10 02:38:09 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 10.12.2004 schrieb sola at doctor.com um 3:19:

> > I have the same Netgear printserver.
> >
> > > in fc2 generic postscript driver works using cups with no problems.
> > > in fc3 kernel 2.6.9-1.667  no way! no matter what I try, ie, not
> > > found using a browser, nor gui print conf, nor localhost:631  etc
> > > in fc3 connection to internet is up and running, everything else ok
> > > using ping to connect to printserver is ok
> > > but scan of all ports in printserver shows none are open!
> > > I'm a newb at a total loss!

> > Run system-config-printer-gui and add the printer(s) with queue type
> > "UNIX printserver LPD", server is NETGEAR for me and queue is "P1" and
> > "P2". This creates following in

> Unfortunately this is not the problem-- I cannot connect to the printserver, even tho it has a fixed ip address,
> and consequently no matter what is in /etc/cups/printers.conf the fc3 system cannot connect to it!
> For example, I duplicated the working fc2 /etc/cups/printers.conf using the gui as suggested above in fc3
> but the system can't access it.
> Also, I should be able , as I can in fc2,
> to browse to the server and congfiure it without any printer installed at all.
> but this is not possible in fc3.
>  no doubt because i'm a newb I'm making some incredibley stupid error,
> only I don't know what it is.

> Steve

Hm, that is a bit sad. I once configured my Netgear PS101 to have IP
192.168.99. I can ping it - like you:

$ ping -c1 192.168.0.99

--- 192.168.0.99 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.155/3.155/3.155/0.000 ms, pipe 2

A scan against the print server's LPD port shows it open:

$ nmap -v -p515 192.168.0.99

Starting nmap 3.70 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-12-10 03:29
CET
Initiating Connect() Scan against netgear.dogma.lan (192.168.0.99) [1
port] at 03:29
Discovered open port 515/tcp on 192.168.0.99
The Connect() Scan took 0.05s to scan 1 total ports.
Host netgear.dogma.lan (192.168.0.99) appears to be up ... good.
Interesting ports on netgear.dogma.lan (192.168.0.99):
PORT    STATE SERVICE
515/tcp open  printer

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.371 seconds

Are you able to connect it in a different network to test connectivity
from a different system? Maybe even a Windows[tm] system and then to use
the Windows[tm] drivers/tools for that device?

Normally I would not suspect a coincidence with a print server break
while switching from FC2 to FC3. The last recommend I can give is to
flush firewall rules with

service iptables stop

to be sure, nothing blocks network traffic. But as you say the print
server states no ports open, this shouldn't be the case at all. So there
leave just the ordinary, basic things: check your cable, switch the
print server off for some time by taking off power (for longer than a
second, time enough that stored power can went away), check ethernet
cable connector fit in the print server plug.

Hope something will help.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 03:38:03 up 4 days, 3:00, load average: 0.23, 0.30, 0.46