Same named packages, different dependencies

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Dec 10 05:43:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 A1tmblwd at netscape.net wrote:

> Ed Wilts made a reference to a protectbase setting for yum. It does not
> seem to be present in yum-2.1.11-3. Without such a feature for yum or
> apt it is a bad conclusion for 3rd-party vendors such as yourself.

I don't understand this paragraph. Why ? Have you actually looked what
packages I replace or is this based on assumptions ? Go take a look and
come back with something I can hold on to.

> Even the protectbase feature may not be enough.  Quoting from the tao
> yum.conf file, http://www.hughesjr.com/tao/yum.conf.txt :
>
> # The Dag Wieers repository of RHEL3 compatible RPMs; best used in combination
> # with the 'protectbase' patch.  See /usr/share/doc/yum-*/README.protectbase.
> # Some of his rpms upgrade stuff in the Tao basesystem, which you may or may
> # not want.

Ok. First of all, David wrote this after I told him about the possibility.
If you've followed previous threads about this, I think this feature
belongs in yum as it gives people the control and removes the burden off
of repository maintainers. Second of all, enabling this patch is
sufficient, no packages will be replaced if you do. I don't understand why
you imply it wouldn't be enough.

Also, if you look at the packages I upgrade. Apart from lftp, rsync and
syslinux I'm not replacing much else that makes a difference.

And trust me, if you use lftp, rsync or syslinux, you'll be grateful you
can use lftp >= 3.x and rsync >= 2.6.3. If you're ignorant, you jump on
the protest bandwagon.

> I, personally, appreciate the service you provide

You're welcome.